Saturday, May 14, 2011

"I'm Going to Do What I Want!"

This morning while eating breakfast with my kids my oldest says to me, "I don't have to obey adults--I obey Jesus." I proceeded to tell her that Jesus has put parents, teachers, grandparents and other authority figures over us to obey so when we obey them we are obeying Jesus. She then said, "Oh okay, so then when I grow up to be an adult I can do whatever I want." I shared with her that that's called 'rebellion' and it happened in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve.
Then a thought came to mind: I do the very same thing....
For example, after reading 1 Peter 2:1- "Therefore rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind," a minute later I find myself getting angry, then prideful and I start to slander and attack others. Didn't Jesus say to get rid of all those things??
"But wait Lord, isn't it okay to get angry about wrong theology? Isn't it okay to...?" (fill in the blanks). But deep down if I was truthful, I would realize that my anger is not righteous--it is prideful. I would know that I'm slandering people not theology. I'm making excuses for my sin and saying, "I'm going to do what I want to do God!" just like my child. I'm no different..I'm just as rebellious. And so under the Spirit's conviction I fall down at Jesus' feet and repent.

3 comments:

  1. "I'm no different" either <3 -- Thank you precious Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebellious lil Kat . . .

    Haha just kidding, this is really great Brenda!

    ReplyDelete